Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A MESSAGE OF ENCOURAGEMENT

PLEASE!  Don’t skip reading this blog, thinking, “I don’t need encouraging.” or “Nothing you say can make me feel better right now.”  Please stick with me as I share a personal story with you.

This summer, July 2014 to be precise, I had a battle with a life-threatening disease.  My surgeon and I were victorious with the help of prayers from family and friends.  During my recovery, I received many messages from well-wishers.  One card in particular begs to be shared with others.  It came from a long-term dentist/client/friend.  The message of encouragement was written as a poem, and my friend added his own words that buoyed me as I read it initially and re-read it on long difficult days.  Perhaps you or someone you know can use just such a message now:
            “A mighty wind blew night and day.  It stole the oak tree’s leaves away.  Then snapped its boughs and pulled its bark until the oak was tired and stark.  But still the oak tree held its ground while other trees fell all around.  The weary wind gave up and spoke, ‘How can you still be standing, Oak?’  The oak tree said, ‘I know that you can break each branch of mine in two, carry every leaf away, shake my limbs, and make me sway.  But I have roots stretched in the earth, growing stronger since my birth.  You’ll never touch them, for you see, they are the deepest part of me.  Until today, I wasn’t sure of just how much I could endure.  But now I’ve found, with thanks to you, I’m stronger than I ever knew.’” 

The Hallmark card listed no author.  I thank my friend who chose to encourage me at such a time, and I thank the author, whoever he or she may be.

No comments: