Thursday, April 9, 2015

SUBSTANCE ABUSE? HELP IS AVAILABLE!

The January 5, 2015 issue of the ADA News contained an article well worth reading:  MY VIEW---TAKING ONE DAY AT A TIME.  Written anonymously by a practicing oral surgeon in Oklahoma, it is the captivating story of a dentist who became addicted to prescription pain medication and alcohol.

In my almost 30-year career as a practice management consultant, I have witnessed several similar heart-wrenching stories involving clients.  Most have eventually sought professional help and have been able to resurrect their lives and relationships as they achieve and cling to sobriety, one day at a time.

The author of this MY VIEW expresses his victory in remaining sober like this, “Surrender is a word that was not in my vocabulary previously, but now I realize that if I don’t surrender my will and my life to the power of God, I’ll be right back where I started from.  Therefore, each day when I wake up, I ask God for another sober day; I surrender my will to Him; and I live one day at a time.”

Currently 45 states have dentist well-being programs through which help is available.  For more information on your state’s program or other sources of help, call the ADA’s Dentist Health and Wellness section of the ADA Council on Dental Practice at 1-312-440-2500, ext. 2622 or inquire by email:  siweka@ada.org to reach Alison M. Siweck, manager of the Health and Wellness Section. 

No comments: