Monday, January 11, 2016

A PERSONAL STORY…

First, you need to know that I consider the greatest benefit of my 35 years of working with the dental profession to be the close relationships I’ve developed with many dentists, some of their family members, and many of their team members.  I am beyond grateful for the close friends I count among you.  You are a true blessing in my life.

Second part of this story---in February 2015, I wrote an article for Practicon’s Premier Rewards Program members entitled The Magic Bank Account.  The article quoted a written piece that was found among Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant’s papers after he died.  Of all the articles and blogs we’ve posted on Practicon’s website, this one has brought the most comments and the most requests for permission to duplicate.

And the third chapter of my story---imagine my surprise and delight when a long-term friend, dentist extraordinaire, emailed me a copy of my article that he had adapted to read at his daughter’s wedding in October.  Wow!  Talk about making my heart happy?! He did just that!

The original Bear Bryant piece quoted in my article:

“Imagine that you won the following prize in a contest---each morning you are to receive $86,400 deposited into your private bank account for your use.  However, the prize has rules:  (1) You and you alone may spend the money.  (2) The money may not be transferred into any other account, and all that you do not spend that day will be taken away from you.  (3) The bank opens your account with another $86,400 each morning, but at any time, without warning, the bank can say, “Game over.”; close your account; and you will not receive a new one.

What would you do?  You would buy anything and everything you wanted, right?  You would spend it on those you love and care for, and, perhaps, you also would buy things for some people you don’t know.  You couldn’t possibly spend all that money on yourself every day, right?  You would try to spend every penny each day---use it all because otherwise it would be taken away.  And, besides, it will be replenished in the morning, right?

ACTUALLY, THIS GAME IS REAL!  SHOCKED? YES!!  Each of us is already a winner of this PRIZE.  We just don’t realize it.  THE PRIZE IS TIME.

Each morning we awaken to receive 86,400 seconds as a gift of life.  And when we go to sleep that night, any wasted time is not credited to us.  What we haven’t used wisely that day is forever lost.  Yesterday is gone.  Each morning the account is refilled, but the “bank” can dissolve our account at any time with no warning.

So…what will you do with your 86,400 seconds?  Those seconds are worth so much more than the same amount of dollars.  Think about it, and remember to enjoy every second of your life because time races by so much quicker than we realize.  Take care of yourself, those you love, and other people as well.  Be happy, love deeply; express appreciation and cherish life.  Enjoy!  Here’s wishing you a wonderful, beautiful day.  Start spending.  Spend wisely.  And don’t complain about growing old---some people don’t get the privilege.”

My friend added words of wisdom for his daughter and new son-in-law as only a loving father could.  He reminded the couple to enjoy ALL of their life’s seconds and named special ways to add to that enjoyment.  On and on…he shared beautiful thoughts and poignant phrases that honored the young couple and reminded them to “be grateful for the blessing and privilege of growing old together.”
I must admit my eyes were overflowing with happy tears by the time I finished reading my friend’s masterpiece.  I can only imagine wedding attendees and the happy young couple needing hankies and tissues also.


Thank you, my dear friend, for sharing with us your heartfelt wisdom in the words spoken to your daughter and her groom on the day of their wedding.  

No comments: